Thursday, February 25, 2010

Happy Birthday, Mom!

Today is my mom's birthday, and we wish her all the best...
Here's a picture of us enjoying ourselves at Amanda's and Tom's wedding. Mom not only looks young, she's also young at heart! And she's seen unbelievable changes in our world since February 25, 1925. So in honor of her special birthday, I put together a little trip down memory lane.
These are my German grandparents Herman and Anna, shortly after they emigrated to America in the early 1920's. The lady in the chair is my great grandmother, who joined the family in Philadelphia soon after my mom was born. My grandparents loved the outdoors, and many of our old pictures are of picnics and camping trips.

Here's a cute one of baby mom, playing around around with a state-of-the-art radio in about 1926.
And the last picture is my favorite, of mom bundled up in a fancy outfit. After she arrived from Germany, the grandmother took care of mom and her sister Ruth, so both parents could work. She looks a bit stern, but I think she's just trying to keep mom from falling off that Model-T running board. I see a touch of a smile, and mom looks like a happy baby. Great grandma passed away when I was young, but I still remember her as being very sweet.

So mom, on behalf of your daughters, son, granddaughters and four great grandchildren, we all wish you a happy birthday! Thank you for all the happiness you have brought to our lives.

2 comments:

  1. Great posting mom!! We really enjoyed seeing the old family pictures and your words to Grandma were so meaningful. I also just showed Tom the blogs from while I was in Seattle! He loved them!! Especially the tortured Nova at Boeing pic.. :) We love and miss you! I'll call you in the morning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We miss you too. The house is too quiet when Nova isn't here! I loved seeing her fresh little face coming up the stairs in the morning...
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete