Tuesday, August 18, 2026

A tempting sight

 

 

I'm impatient for the plums to finally ripen so we can preserve as many as possible. This is a rare year when the tree produces that many big ones. I want to replenish our stash of plum chutney and also can some halves for yogurt and cottage cheese. 


Understandably, with stone fruit averaging $3 a pound in the grocery store, these big beauties are a tempting target from the sidewalk. 

 

Yes, it came down to this. 

I saw a man jump up and grab some over the fence while his two little kids looked on. (Teach your children well.) Even though they look purple, they are still hard and inedible. 

I told him nicely we're happy to share excess when the time comes, but please don't pull green ones off the branches now. He looked guilty as sin and apologized profusely. I'm working on my reputation as "the mean old lady who lives on the corner."

 

The Seattle afternoons are warm and sunny, but the morning fog suddenly put a fall feel in the air. I've enjoyed our yard and birds more than ever this summer, and good thing, because we've been stuck at home since we got back from Europe in June. 

Fires are still burning in every direction across the eastern part of the state, so the smoke collects in the Methow Valley however the winds blows. Relief from that claustrophobic air pollution won't come until the fall rains finally extinguish the wildfires. 

My friend Karen said everyone who can get away leaves the Valley as much as possible this summer. On top of that, downtown Twisp is still torn up with construction as they renovate the sidewalks, streets and storefronts. Not a good time for bike riding or strolling around the peaceful shops. There's always next year. 


No comments:

Post a Comment