Make some tomato sauce...
That is about a third of the Roma tomatoes we got from one potted plant. They just thrive on that hot side of the house.
I bought a fancy food mill last fall to make pear butter and haven't used it since, so I set John to work yesterday milling that bowl of tomatoes. He enjoys kitchen tasks that involve sharp knives and mechanical gadgets.
It cooked up a bright pot of fresh tomato sauce, which we put on frozen cheese ravioli.
It was tasty but a tad on the thin side, so some sausage or meatballs would help. I froze three containers for other pasta meals.
Speaking of the freezer, we are grateful this week that ours is packed with good food. The little bit of effort it takes to make a simple meal from scratch is so worth it. Anyway, our home cooked wholesome food is helping me get my appetite back.
No one expects hospital food to be good, but with the exception of Cheerios, most of what they what they gave me was inedible. The meals were packed with cheap processed salty food, even though I was supposedly on a "heart healthy" diet.
As I'm sure you know, wine has always been an enjoyable part of our lives-- a relaxing social time at the end of the day, and it makes good food taste even better. But for now I'm taking a vacation from all alcohol. This feels good actually, although life is a bit duller come 4 o'clock when John makes himself an old-fashioned.
Well, life is also short, so put wine on the list of things to look forward to. In moderation, of course. We have a trip to the Napa Valley planned at the end of September, and I told John save your money to buy me a glass or two of expensive local wine. Quality not quantity is the new motto. My box wine days are over.
No comments:
Post a Comment