Monday, January 8, 2024

Stick to your ribs

 


That, my friends, is a made-from-scratch turkey pot pie with a homemade double butter crust. Needless to say, an all afternoon cooking project that requires lots of ingredients, most importantly, a good quality of leftover turkey and gravy. Until the first bite, I wonder if it's worth all the trouble. According to the blog, it looks like the last turkey pot pie I made was January 2019.  A sad fact, according to John.

I was really looking forward to a quiet week in Twisp. We haven't been over to the house since Thanksgiving, and that was a fast, hectic visit. I have friends in the valley I’d like to see, so made plans to go, thinking the solo drive would be no problem. The mild December weather sure lulled us into complacency. 

Winter is making up for lost time with a vengeance. There are rare blizzard warnings on the passes this week, which will soon become impassable. I had a little window for good driving yesterday, but decided to postpone, as the forecast for Twisp next week is pretty bleak anyway-- below zero temperatures, wind and snow. Then there's the question of when I could make it home again safely. So it goes.

This is where the smart Twisp money hangs out in the winter. That brown lump is a cat named Millie, curled up in a basket behind Amanda and Tom's wood stove, toasting herself like bread in a tandoori oven. 

While Georgia, the other fat house cat, makes herself comfortable on a chair in front of the fire. 


No comments:

Post a Comment