Thursday, January 4, 2024

Mixed up week

 

 

The holiday threw me off this week. Monday felt like Sunday, and yesterday for all the world seemed like a Tuesday. 

This Wednesday marked my one year anniversary at the Senior Center Cafe. Already? I started on a hectic day right after the Center's holiday closure break in 2023. I wondered at the time what I had gotten myself into.

People always ask if I enjoy working there. Like all jobs, a mixed bag. Compared to other volunteer gigs I've had over the years, it isn't especially challenging, for example, nothing like MOHAI archives. 

At the Cafe, the job satisfaction is more in the simple things, like interacting with folks, and taking care to prepare and serve the combo lunches, cookies and salads. Food is kindness. We all know this. And for many customers at the Center, that simple sandwich is a big purchase, and probably the nicest meal they will have all day. 

And last but not least, it makes you grateful for good health, family and financial security. Many people are not so lucky at this stage in life. 


No comments:

Post a Comment