Wednesday, November 8, 2023

A Clean, Well-lighted Place

 

Do you know that depressing short story by Ernest Hemingway? 

Yesterday I joined a clean, well-lighted gym. When the pandemic hit, my previous health club closed down and I didn't think I'd ever join another. My main exercise for the past 3 years has been a neighborhood walk on basically the same 2 mile loop. Nothing wrong with that, other than boring, but with the traffic and lately street crime, it's just not enjoyable anymore-- especially factoring in the winter weather.  

So. The first thing they ask (actually demand) when you inquire about membership is "What are your GOALS?" 

Well, yes, goals are a good thing. People should have them but mine are pretty modest. I'm looking forward to using the cardio and weight machines in a safe place, at my own pace. 

I declined the services of the goading personal trainer, figuring I'd only get injured if pushed beyond my comfort zone at this point. Maybe later.

Anyway, the best thing is this club is only 5 minutes away with easy parking. And it's open 24 hours, if I have a sudden desire to work out in he middle of the night. Ha ha. I bought a 6 month membership to see me through the long winter months.



No comments:

Post a Comment