Tuesday, September 19, 2023

Tracks and tales

 

Big old racoon tracks on the beach in front of the house. Oddly human-looking. The country coons are nothing like their insolent city cousins who just stare you down. In Twisp, you rarely catch sight of them, and they dash away when they see people-- probably for good reason. 

They are finally ready to pave the streets after the sewer and water line repairs. I was out walking yesterday and asked one of the workers. He said next week. 

There are mountains of gravel everywhere, like our endless school track project. Where does it all come from? Makes you wonder of the world is in danger of running out. Speaking of gravel, the local guy I had lined up to do our driveway never came back. So it goes. It looks good enough and saved some money. Maybe next year after the snow plowers scrape more off.

The roads around here were in terrible shape before the excavations, so we'll feel like first class citizens when it's finally done. I don't have a dirt bike much less experience riding one, so missed my little jaunts around town this summer. But next year should be smooth as silk riding. Here alone and so far from any kind of medical help, it just makes sense to be extra cautious. I can get around fine on my own two feet.

Tom made a hearty dinner yesterday and tonight they're coming here. Of course we miss Amanda but everyone is doing fine. The girls love Thai curry and I'll try a recipe in my brand new crock pot. I don't use a crock pot in Seattle, but here it's just the ticket.

The mornings are dark and very cool. The fall rains start next week in the mountains, so this trip was good timing.

No comments:

Post a Comment