Thursday, June 2, 2022

American Hero Quilts

 

I have a new hospice patient who lives in a nursing home. He's an Air Force veteran, and the hospice volunteer coordinator asked if I would present him with a flag pin and this beautiful quilt in recognition of his service.

That's a big honor. I'm a little nervous about it. The quilts are typically given in a somewhat formal ceremony, led by the hospice social worker with family members and staff present. Apparently, the social workers are so overworked they've reluctantly turned this over to the volunteers. So I'll reach out to the patient's family and try to coordinate the gift with one of their visits to the nursing home.

American Hero Quilts is a volunteer organization established 17 years ago. Hundreds of volunteers have made over 30,000 patriotic quilts for service members and their families. I know the creative effort that goes into fine quilting, and these are truly a labor of love.

No comments:

Post a Comment