Friday, September 10, 2021

River Witch

 

That's the sign the former owner posted on the trail that crosses our property to the river. I think the rules are quite reasonable, considering folks are basically trespassing. 

We joke about the "community beach" but that's what it was, until this house was built in 2017. That put an end to the drunk parties, bon fires, commercial boat launching, etc. but nothing is harder to change than precedence, once established. 

So the locals still come down, especially on hot afternoons. And we've met some nice neighbors. It's a big river, so why here? Well, the Methow running through town is mostly rocky high bank or private property owned by people less generous. There's only a few places to easily access the water or haul in and out.

From our master bathroom, we have a view of the river through the glass shower door. Pretty sweet, because there's rarely anyone out there in the morning. 

But yesterday when I got out of the shower, there was woman in front of the house yakking on her cell phone (really?) while a dog ran everywhere. Loose dogs scare the wildlife and poop. Sometimes they bite.

That was the trigger to bring the old witch out of her river house. I put my wet hair in a pony tail and went out to say hello. The dog of course ran up and jumped all over me. She said her dog "loved our beach" I suppose thinking I would take pleasure in that.  I just smiled and said politely we prefer that dogs stay on a leash on our property. She looked sorry and soon left. I was not sorry.

So, John thinks I should have a flag to raise on the house to warn people when the River Witch is in residence. Like the Queen at Windsor Castle. Ha.

Well, I'm off to take Maya to the library. Nova is with her best friend this morning and Amanda working at home. No school today, another service day for the teachers and headache for the parents.




No comments:

Post a Comment