Tuesday, July 6, 2021

Simplification

 

When we got back to Seattle and walked in the door, the first thing that stuck me was how much stuff we have. The open space in the new house was very restful. 

We keep this house tidy, we're not hoarders (I guess) but there isn't a surface without something on it.  Every cupboard, every closet filled. 40 plus years of accumulation. Our "view" is of adjacent houses, so it's an inward feeling here in the city, compared to river house which feels open to nature.

Still, you need a place to sit and a place stash things. A bench for the hall, side tables, a dresser, lamps, etc. A new sofa and recliner get delivered this week. But the basics are covered. The kitchen is fully equipped. We have a lovely bed and the spare rooms can stay empty for now.

The main attraction of a second home is not having to haul things back and forth. You show up and enough clothes are in the closet. Maybe not the right clothes, but something to wear. I have another carload to take over on Thursday. This has inspired me to clean out here, and things look better already.  I'm trying to be selective about what I take over. 

Of course, I'm just putting stuff in two places now. It occurred that this is the exact opposite of downsizing, what people our age are supposed to be doing. 



No comments:

Post a Comment