Friday, July 9, 2021

And suddenly, there you are

 

 

The solo drive over was relatively easy on Thursday. I left the house at 6 am and made it through the detour to the freeway in 30 minutes flat. At that early hour on a weekday I had the highways and passes pretty much to myself. I only stopped twice--next time I'll make it three rest stops. John and I always share the driving, and my legs were wobbly from so much sitting.  Anyway, what's the rush?

The new sofa and chair look nice. Maybe not the most stylish furniture in the world, but soft and comfortable and you can recline and watch the river doing it's thing outside the front window.  

I have to admit, excited as I was, it was strange the first night being here completely alone. I felt perfectly safe, but so silent compared to the cacophony of West Seattle on a summer night. The stillness kept me awake. All I heard was the gentle river sound.

 

Amanda wasn't feeling well so we didn't hang out yesterday. But the girls came over in the afternoon so she could rest and we played Go Fish then they watched an hour of TV. They badgered me for ice cream sandwiches until I gave in. Having grown up with the beautiful Methow River in their backyard, that part of visiting Nana is pretty ho-hum.

Compared to last summer, when everything was closed or cancelled, they are constantly busy with their activities, classes and friends, which is how it should be.

We watched Nova's swim team for an hour (Maya looking bored) and my goodness, Nova zips through the water like a otter. 

So athletic, it was like seeing Amanda at the same age.

I spent some time at the beach, trying to draw the river and hoping some neighbors would trespass by so we could chat.  

 


No one showed up. Maybe new people from Seattle scared them off? I doubt it. It just hasn't been as hot this week.


We sat on the deck this afternoon with the girls. The turkey mom came by with five sturdy looking chicks (down only 3) which is quite an accomplishment in this wild kingdom. 

Almost nothing to do in the way of gardening which is a nice change for me. But I have to find someone to mow every couple of weeks in the summer. And in the winter, snow removal.  But one season at a time.

Another busy day tomorrow.  The Saturday Twisp market, then we're going to a movie in Winthrop in the afternoon.  


No comments:

Post a Comment