Tuesday, January 26, 2021

Quiet

 


The house is so quiet with just the two of us. Also orderly, clean and all that pleasant stuff. But after months of home routine I'm afraid we're becoming set in our ways, just a couple of fussy old people. 

Hard to believe, but it's been over a year since we've had a single visitor inside. Sometimes when I sit in the living room with my wine before dinner, I think back on all the raucous, laughing fun. If these walls could talk. Kid parties, costume parties, holiday celebrations, countless dinners, barbecues, garden parties. Friends! Family! Dogs! The work! The mess! I was only 30 when we moved here, which seems incredible. How fast the times goes.

Well, thank goodness for thousands of photos on my laptop, all obsessively organized librarian-style. How fun and poignant it is, scrolling through the years and watching the girls grow up right before my eyes. 

Dr Fauci says two masks are better than one and that's good enough for me. Our infection numbers in Washington state are still too high, but have stayed relatively low compared to other parts of the country. This is not an accident.  Restaurants are closed for indoor dining, everyone wears masks everywhere and so on. All the things people are sick to death of doing. 

Still, life goes on, even here. I'm longing for a rare haircut and this morning think I'll double-mask up for a quick one. My stylist only has one chair, and I'm always his first customer of the day. Maybe I'm fooling myself, but that doesn't seem too outrageous on the risk meter.

No comments:

Post a Comment