Thursday, January 14, 2021

A cozy scene

 


Sort of. If you wondered why there wasn't a blog yesterday, it's because we had 14-hour "unprecedented" power outage. (After 4 years, I'm sure tired of hearing that word.) 

On Tuesday night a powerful windstorm whipped though the Puget Sound region with gusts 50-70 mph, knocking down trees and poles in the saturated ground. 

The power went off about midnight, and didn't come back until 2 pm Wednesday. A record for us. Fortunately, it wasn't too cold and Duraflame logs kept the chill off the living room. 

 

And an indoor hat, sweatpants and robe also helped. I woke up in the dark at 5 am wanting coffee in the worst way, and searched high and low with a flashlight for the little plastic coffee filter. Luckily we have a gas range, and can easily heat water. I finally gave up, made some tea and John eventually went to McDonalds for the superior brown liquid and Egg McMuffins. 

Once my brain was caffeinated, I realized I completely forgot about the packets of Via (Starbucks instant coffee) always on the kitchen shelf. Duh. Don't count on my quick thinking in an emergency, folks.

We were luckier than many people in the area, but the morning light revealed a sad mess in the yard.

The big clematis vine against the shed blew over...

And was such a tangled and heavy mess I had to cut it completely back. It didn't break off at the base, and should eventually grow back. I'll miss it in the meantime because the flowers were beautiful and the birds were always chattering in there. 

As the hours dragged on I found new things to worry about, like the contents of the refrigerator and packed freezer.  We were disciplined and didn't open the door even for a quick peek. When the power finally hummed back to life (the happiest sound in the world) everything was still frozen solid and cold. So we had blue plate special leftovers from the night before and life returned to normal.


No comments:

Post a Comment