Friday, January 8, 2021

Into white


After the Christmas decorations are down I always buy a few fresh flowers, usually white, to brighten up the house in grey January. These oriental lilies came from Trader Joe's and a nice big bunch for only $6. 

In the old days I'd stop there a couple times a week on my way home from the gym. I rarely go now. Even though they do a pretty good job controlling the number of people in the store, it still feels crowded. That's the recreational nature of TJ shopping, with people blocking the aisles browsing and reading labels. I do it myself. Not and in-and-out sort of place.

Speaking of white, Amanda sent this photo of their backyard hen house.  The "Bockers" are taking it in stride and even still laying inside their snug home. 

Our weather down in the lowlands is monotonous, staying within the 40's temperature range and raining almost constantly. That's the perfect Northwest recipe for heavy snow at higher elevations.  

It can still happen, but as we get into February we're less likely to have a major snow event in Seattle. I was out in the yard yesterday and the first tulips are poking up.  We haven't had a single hard freeze. (Now that I've said that, it will probably go down to zero next week.)

Today Amanda and her friend from work travel to the hospital in Omak for their second Covid immunizations.  It's still about a 75 mile snow covered round trip, but closer than Tonasket, where they went for the first shot. The reality hasn't really sunk in yet, but what a relief she will soon be protected. 


1 comment:

  1. They're forecasting snow here in the flatlands. I saw a figure of 8-12" in which case the world will shut down out here. What with a long history of getting paid monthly, I have developed a bit of a siege mentality, which now and again pays off -- like, now.

    ReplyDelete