Monday, January 27, 2020

January weather


We shouldn't complain about our temperate western Washington climate, not when tulips start pushing up through the mulch in late January. Little signs of spring are everywhere in the garden, it's just been too rainy to go outside and look. But the birds know, chattering all day.  I planted another bag of Costco tulips last August.  Red I think?  Can't remember, it seems like a lifetime ago. Surprise me.


The potted jasmine is none the worse for wear.  In fact, it looks beautiful.  Of course we could still get a freeze, remember last February in Seattle?  But for now, the same old forecast stretches far into the future:  Highs in the mid-40's and a chance of rain every day. Above freezing at night.  Boring, but we'll take it.

Yesterday was a nice little break, it rained morning and afternoon, but midday the sun came out and what a cheerful sight. And it's beginning to look like a real sun again.


The jade plants were parched dry, so I carried them outside on a drenching day last week and let Mother Nature do the watering. They were twice as heavy when I lugged them back in.  That drink should hold them over until April when they go back on the porch. Yes, they are sort of ugly, not to mention a lot of trouble, but after all these years I'm attached.

Speaking of sun, I'm off to find some.  I have an 11 am flight to Las Vegas, and looking forward to spending 3 days with my dad and sister.  I'll check in from the desert later. Ciao.




No comments:

Post a Comment