Friday, January 24, 2020

Book groups, etc.



The Barnes and Noble store in downtown Seattle is closing. Last year, the store at Westwood Village closed, not far from here. What a shame.

We blame the Internet for this retail collapse, and more specifically, Amazon, but there are multiple factors, such as rising rents and new distractions, especially for young people.  My generation tends to use the library, but there's still nothing like the experience of browsing around a big bookstore.

I try to support the Pegasus Used Book Store at The Junction. They give credit on the books I bring in, which I use to get 50% off new used books.  I buy kids books there, so Nova and Maya always have something new to read when they visit.

Pegasus has a bargain $4 book cart on the sidewalk-- that's $2 if you have store credit. Good stuff too, like past best-sellers you somehow missed. I've discovered really great authors by accident. You don't mind taking a chance on a $2 book.

Anyway, I was standing out there browsing and struck up a conversation with a lady.  We talked about our favorite authors, and she asked me if I was in a book group. Actually I was, many years ago. We met in the evening after work, when it was still possible to get around Seattle in rush hour.

She said her book group met once a month, in West Seattle, in the afternoon, as they were all retired. My ears perked up at that! So I boldly asked if they ever accepted new members?  We exchanged information-- she would get back to me after she checked with the members.


Sure enough, I got a nice email yesterday inviting me to their February meeting.  The book is Barbara Kingsolver's novel, "Unsheltered." I have not read it, and just ordered a $4 used copy from the Thrift Books online. Lazy me.

OK, you could wring us out like a sponge up here after days of soaking rain. Nothing much going on this weekend, except Saturday I'm starting a drawing class again at the community college. Monday morning, off to Las Vegas for a nice hit of sunshine and visit with Marji and Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment