Friday, November 15, 2019

"Dear me, what if the cat had seen you?"

"If she had seen you, 
I should never have seen you again, that is all,"
replied Mamma.

We were relaxing downstairs last week, peacefully watching a television program, when we heard a scritch-scratching in the ceiling right over our heads.  Dear me, indeed. Yes, this is the time of year when "they" seek shelter indoors.

We're not alone in our shame.  The hardware store has an entire aisle devoted to a bewildering variety of rodent poison and other contraptions.  Now, what you would do with a mad rat stuck on a piece of sticky cardboard is beyond me?  Not for the faint of heart.

So I did the usual, that is, bought some fresh poison pellets and a new trap for under the kitchen sink, if they dare to come upstairs.  So far, they haven't helped themselves to my make-shift pantry in the corner of the basement, which is a good sign. At least they can't open wine bottles.

Long ago we had a couple of excellent mousers, "Puss" and "Cowboy." I miss them.  Our last cat "Vino" spent his time gallivanting and mooching around the neighborhood.

Many farmers consider a good ratter/mouser the most valuable animal in the barn. Breed is a factor, but kitty temperament and "upbringing" is more important in the making of a good barn cat.



No comments:

Post a Comment