Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Scenes from a sketchbook

The "Bob Ross Method"

On Saturday I took my final drawing class at the community college, and was surprised how much I learned by the end of that beginner's course.

Of course, it helps when you start out knowing nothing! My idea of drawing was coping illustrations from coloring books.  I have a pretty good eye for detail, but I've never had any formal art instruction, so all the standard drawing tricks and techniques were totally new.

Remember the beloved Bob Ross programs on PBS?  Our instructor stood at an easel at the front of the class, drawing and explaining while we tried to imitate what he was doing in real time, using just three pencils and an overworked eraser.


For example, I learned about the the different parts of a shadow: the highlight, midtone and cast shadow...

Basic perspective....and how to draw simple shapes. 

And my biggest breakthrough was blending the graphite, for more three-dimensional art. 

All you need are pencils and these simple little blending tools.

By far, my biggest challenge was getting proportions right, the most important first step. I have a long way to go on this monkey, but in the past, I would have jumped into the details first.


Our final project was a complete picture, and the instructor handed out this drawing he made.  My first reaction?  I'll never be able to draw a bird so realistic. 

Well, not so fast. Like many things in life, if you break it down into careful little steps, the whole eventually comes together.

And here's my bird, after about 2 hours of work.  Not perfect by a long shot, but certainly better than anything I've done before.

2 comments: