Monday, October 1, 2018

October


Tilling the field, in the background,
The Louvre circa 1485. 
Book of Hours calendar, October

We didn't tackle The Louvre on our trip, but we cruised by it a couple of times on the hop-on-hop-off Seine River boat. The gigantic modern museum was originally built by Philip II as the Louvre Castle in the late 12th century. It's been extended many times, but remnants of the fortress are apparently still visible in the basement. 

I loved seeing the ancient architectural monuments in Paris and London, but it was difficult getting a real sense of history when everything is experienced through the crowds and hassles of global tourism.  Still, a memorable trip.


October is here and it suddenly feels like fall. The dahlias were mildewed and sagging over, so I cut off the last flowers and stuffed the stalks in the compost bin.  I could have waited a little longer and squeezed out a few more flowers, but hacking down dahlias is miserable job in the rain.  We haven't had a fall storm or a real drenching yet.  It's coming.

I think we're finally catching up on lost sleep. At least, I'm back to my regular weird waking pattern instead of the weird jet lag induced one.  We're also eating quite a bit, blame it on the fall weather and the pleasure of plain home cooked meals. I made a delicious spicy pork stew by throwing a bunch of fresh ingredients in the braiser and cooking it all afternoon. A one time masterpiece I could never exactly replicate.  Oh well.  Also the last hurrah for the grill with steak and this picture perfect shrimp skewer meal.


We're sticking to the meatless Monday resolution, so tonight cheese raviloi with tomato sauce. Or if I'm feeling ambitious after The Ukes, eggplant Parmesan.  Enough boring domestic news!

Speaking of The Ukes, I went again last Monday after three weeks without practice and found I was playing no better and no worse than before.  A good sign that my brain is finally and permanently imprinted with a handful of simple chords. It only took about 5 years...

No comments:

Post a Comment