Wednesday, September 12, 2018

The Queen’s horses and Art



So the day started with John committing a crime in the Queen’s stable. We went to Buckingham Palace to tour the Royal Mews, one of the tourist attractions that requires passing through a metal detector, just like an airport.  The tiny pocket knife he carries everywhere with the LOCKING BLADE (horror of horrors) is illegal in Britain. The palace security girls were very nice, and offered to call the police to “explain” the law in more detail.  No thanks.

To make a long story short, they confiscated the evil knife for “destruction” and John signed some sort of paper granting him amnesty. Being England, it was all very polite.  I said, what a civilized country! John said this a country that fears a 63 year old man with a finely crafted pen knife. I said be grateful you didn’t wind up in the dock at the Old Bailey. 

Anyway, I liked the mews, home of the royal cars and the over-the-top golden carriage that gets dragged out once in a blue moon. And the beautiful horses.  I actually saw and smelled a few which made it worthwhile.  

I’m embarrassed to say we then went to McDonald’s for a familiar old hamburger and coke and it was one of the cleanest places we’ve been in London.

The Tate Britain was the next must see just for their collection of pre-Raphelite paintings.  I thought it was thrilling seeing many of the beautiful originals; so did a lot of other people since it was the most popular gallery.  They had room after room of monotonous Turners. They had a appropriately spooky William Blake room that was deserted except for a few mystics.  Then we had a $5 cup of tea in the basement cafe.  

Most tourists would have soldiered on to the next attraction, but we still had to make our way home to the east end via river taxi and Tube.  Which is actually becoming ho hum easy.  We have housekeeping duties here and spend a lot of time just getting the washing machine/dryer to work. Actually John took on the technical challenge of the diabolical machine, which I appreciate. The cycle runs for about 4 hours, drying everything to a wrinkled, shrinked-up crisp, so you have to plan ahead which clothes you want to ruin.  Why did I bring my good clothes? I’m saving a few nice things out for Paris. 

London is interesting. I was last here in 1979, so saying things have changed is an understatement.  It’s more like a different country where English is the second language. Cosmopolitan is the nice word for it I guess.  

John said he thought London would be more like PBS.  His highlights today were the crumpet with jam, an excellent jasmine tea worth the price, and a slice of walnut cake.  I guess that sums it up. Still we are having fun together doing something so different. I’m feeling much better, and tomorrow we’re taking a tour bus to the Queens other digs at Windsor Castle. I only wish we had time to see more of the countryside.  





No comments:

Post a Comment