Saturday, September 22, 2018

Autumn arrives


The Last Rose of Summer

Tis the last rose of summer
Left blooming alone;
All her lovely companions
Are faded and gone:
No flower of her kindred,
No rose-bud is nigh,
To reflect back her blushes,
Or give sigh for sigh...

Thomas Moore

It still felt like summer when we left, but the rain finally came and the grass is starting to green up again.  It was too dry even for weeds, but now all the tiny seeds in the beds are coming up and I have a mess on my hands.

I'm always amazed how fast gardens go to wrack and ruin. I don't spend that many long hours outside in the summer, it's more of a constant puttering and keeping up on the small things.  Anyway, it sure shows when I'm away.

The season change is welcome after yet another scorching summer-- the air is cool and fresh this morning after overnight rain, and the trees starting to change color.  The pink sedums are the prettiest thing in the garden right now.

I'm looking into ordering some good quality bulk mulch, and hopefully a strapping man to spread it around for me. The soil needs amendment anyway, and I'm tired of wheel-barrowing endless leaves from across the street. They don't fall for another month and the weeds are sprouting now.


What a pleasure writing on my laptop again.  The iPad was a handy travel tool, but tedious for pecking out long posts with two fingers.  And stupid spellchecker skunked me on the small screen again and again-- making funny mistakes like calling "creme brulee" "crime brulee." John was my proofreader, but some days I was too tired to even care about typos.

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed our impromptu travel log.  I'm sorry I couldn't put our own photos on the blog with the iPad. We took quite a few pictures of course, and I'll put together the best ones for a book or slideshow. Looking back, it already feels like a fine adventure, and you soon forget about the discomfort and stress of long distance travel.

Our minds might be home, but our bodies haven't got the message yet.  I wake up at about 1:00 am, thinking "Oh good, I've slept through the night." Nope.

I'm no stranger to insomnia, and this type is not worth fighting. Just get up and do something.  Sleep is impossible when your body is wide awake and convinced it's lunch time. They say it takes a full day for your body to adjust to each hour of time change.  So that would be about a week.



No comments:

Post a Comment