Thursday, September 27, 2018

Friends for life


In a moment of weakness, I gave the crows a half bag of slightly rancid Trader Joe's peanuts.  That should cement our friendship for the next 6 months.

September finishes with the most perfect fall weather imaginable. Today and tomorrow will be in the 70's, probably the last warm days this year. After a week of goofy jet lag, we're finally getting back into our normal routine. Our trip already feels like it happened a long time ago, almost to someone else. Why is that?

My friend Marianne invited me out to Vashon Island today for a trail ride if her horse is up to it.  He's an old guy with many health issues, but seems to keep on going like the energizer bunny.

I get to ride gentle Moe again, who is back at the boarding stable after spending the summer at a horse camp on the Island. Presumably working hard there, although there were mixed reports about his behavior with the kids. He's a smart old dude and knows exactly how much he can get away with. I've never had a problem with him, but then, I'm even older and a maybe a bit smarter.

I'm not leasing Moe this winter, but his owner agreed to let me rent him on per ride basis, which is a perfect arrangement.  Today will be interesting, since neither of us rode since last spring. But if nothing else, a nice escape from the current news cycle.

No comments:

Post a Comment