Tuesday, January 23, 2018

National Pie Day

West Seattle Junction

See those teeny little pies there on the top shelf?  Eight dollars each.  Our moms would be shocked.  In Seattle we're crazy about things like over-priced "artisan" pie shops, which just means they do actual baking on the premises.

I wondered what all the raving was about, so we tried the apple ginger mini (OK) and marionberry ginger (thumbs down.)  The gooey berry filling leaked out under the crust and stuck like glue to the flimsy foil. After I scraped most of it out, we were left with two tiny, messy servings of cobbler.  It was such a pitiful dessert for eight bucks I didn't bother to take a picture.  My, this urban village lifestyle is making me cranky. Thank you, fancy pie shop, but I'll just make my own. 

Today really is National Pie Day, created by the American Pie Council in 1986 to commemorate Crisco's 75th anniversary of "serving foods to families everywhere." At one time, every kitchen had a can of Crisco on the shelf. In the days before olive oil we used it for all frying, and nothing makes better pie crust. I think you can still buy Crisco, if it hasn't been banned in Seattle. Did you know we have a sugar beverage tax now that adds several dollars to a box of soda?  The city council is always finding new and creative ways to tax us.

This would be painful if I drank Mountain Dew. As you know, my beverage of choice is wine, which is already taxed heavily enough.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment