Thursday, January 18, 2018

A doodle a day



I forget sometimes what life was like, before we were constantly filming, texting and photographing everything we did. Guilty as charged. I can't even make a nice meal anymore without taking a picture.  First thing in the morning, after coffee, I open my laptop, check the "news," and then write on the blog. Sometimes for a hour or more, an almost daily habit since 2009.  I'm grateful for my little group of dear followers, who have stuck around through many a narcissistic and mundane post.

John and I are among the last people on earth who don't use Facebook, so the blog also helps us stay in touch with far-flung friends and relatives.  Of course, that's just another way to rationalize all the time I spend.  But I like the daily discipline of writing, so guess I'll keep going until they "pry the computer from my cold dead hands."  Ha!

Having said that, in 2018 I'm making an effort to unplug more. We can't expect people to pay attention to us, unless we do the same.

I once enjoyed drawing, but then it fell by the wayside. Like anything you want to improve on, it must become a habit. As motivation, I bought a fancy new sketchbook at Northwest Art and Frame and got out my old box of pencils. And my new pens. The goal is a sketch a day.

There are many scientific studies on the health benefits of making art. Our minds go into a peaceful state (alpha waves) when we're totally engrossed in something we enjoy. These are just simple little doodles, but I'm enjoying it.


PS. Palm trees are easier than birds and foxes.

No comments:

Post a Comment