Friday, April 28, 2017

Too much news?

"

"On April 29th, Donald Trump will have occupied the Oval Office for one hundred days.  For most people, the luxury of living in a relatively stable democracy is the luxury of not following politics with nerve racking constancy.  Trump does not afford this.  His presidency has become a demoralizing daily obsession of anyone concerned with global security,  the vitality of the natural world, the national health, constitutionalism, civil rights, criminal justice, a free press, science, public education and the distinction between fact and its opposite."

The New Yorker
Talk of the Town
May 1, 2017

It's scary how many times a day I look at my phone now to check the news feed or CNN.   I never used to do that, and it creates this background hum of low-grade anxiety.  Really, what an unhealthy habit. I talk to my friends, and at least I'm not alone.

Wise words from Pope Francis:

"When media and the digital world become omnipresent, their influence can stop people from learning how to live wisely, to think deeply and to love generously. You don't have to believe in God to know that time is a gift and how we spend it is vital to our happiness and engagement with life."

I'll leave you with that thought. I hope your weekend is filled with interesting conversation and nature instead of digital obsessions.

As the merry month of May approaches our weather is finally trending positive.  By next week, they're saying expect sunny days with a high of 70.  Be still my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment