Thursday, April 20, 2017

Providence


There is special providence in
the fall of a sparrow.
If it be now, 'tis not to come; if it be not to
come, it will be now; 

if it be not now, yet it will come—the
readiness is all.


Hamlet, Act 5, Scene 2

Or the fall of a baby American Goldfinch. A sad sight on the deck yesterday morning after a suicide dive into the kitchen window.  He was too pretty to put in the compost, so I made a little leaf covered grave in the garden.


Speaking of Shakespeare, John gave me a Mighty Big Gift for my birthday.  This heavy box holds one hundred (!) CD's with vintage recordings of everything ever written by Shakespeare: poems, plays, sonnets, etc.  Where does he find these things?   The thought of so many words left me, well--speechless.

Old English majors love Shakespeare, but listening to a play without any stage action seemed kind of daunting. I put Hamlet on while I was puttering around the house, and was surprised how engaging it was. We're so overstimulated by media these days, it was refreshing just using your imagination.  And of course you have to really listen, a good practice for many of us.  I probably won't get through this box in my lifetime, but it's nice to know it's there if I have a sudden hankering for Shakespeare.

No comments:

Post a Comment