Monday, February 6, 2017

Snow in the city


December and January were the coldest months in 26 years in Seattle, but other than a little storm on New Year's Day we haven't had snow.  Until now.  Actually, significant snow in February is pretty unusual.  Well, everything seems out of whack right now, so why not?  By February, I'm usually writing about spring bulbs popping up and forsythia blooming.

All the Puget Sound schools are closed and the city pretty much shut down for a snow day. We've had about 4 inches here in West Seattle and still coming down.  The news is encouraging everyone to "just stay home."

I intend to do that, but after being cooped up for several days already, it feels like another long one stretching ahead. The Senior Center is closed, so no ukulele group today. There are thousands of power outages across the city.  If the lights don't go out,  I should find something useful to do with myself.  Clean out a closet maybe. 


John of course went off to work as usual at 5 am in Little Beep, our intrepid Honda.  Mr. Avalon is not allowed to go out in the snow. The West Seattle Bridge looked kind of gnarly, but at that un-godly hour he has the road pretty much to himself.  On a morning like this, most people just pull the covers back over their heads.

I had to run outside and do a quick save on the Leyland Cypress trees.  My heart almost stopped when I saw my babied trees ready to snap off!  There's nothing like a nice cold snow shower to wake up your brain.

No comments:

Post a Comment