Thursday, February 2, 2017

Candlemas Day

"Out, damned spot! Out, I say."
MacBeth, Act V Scene I 

I had an innocent-looking mole removed recently and it turned out to be a potential evil-doer.  Fortunately, it was just hanging out on my midriff causing no trouble yet. However, this diagnosis required another trip to the dermatologist yesterday for a procedure called "wide excision" where the immediate neighborhood is also removed.

All things considered, it isn't particularly uncomfortable, but the stitches must stay in for two long weeks which cramps my active lifestyle.  And that dream of becoming a Sports Illustrated swimsuit model is dashed. Ha!

Well, as the years fly by, a sense of humor sure helps. I just thought growing old would take longer.   


Today is Candlemas, commemorating the presentation of Jesus at the temple.  Traditionally, the clergy would bless candles and distribute them to the poor.

Our groundhog tradition stems from the early Christians in Europe, who considered today a milestone when the weather was an important predictor.   This morning Phil says six more weeks of winter.






 

No comments:

Post a Comment