Sunday, August 21, 2016

Weather whiplash


My car thermometer read 89 degrees at the summit of Snoqualmie Pass yesterday.  I thought, could that be right? I cracked the window, stuck out my arm.  Yup.  It really was that hot, and got even hotter as I drove down through the Cascade foothills into baking Seattle.

This morning is a different story.  A heavy marine layer came in overnight, the sky is grey, and a chilly breeze blew away all the heat. I'm getting ready to work outside. I suppose we are always the most critical of our own gardens, but mine is looking downright raggedy.  I'm spending this cool Sunday clearing out dead stuff, deadheading and weeding. 

I had an easy drive home, considering what can happen on that busy I-90 route during summer weekends. On Saturday morning, most of the traffic was headed east. They were passing each other like madmen on crazy three-lane Blewett Pass, so that was the only hazard traveling west.  I didn't even hit any construction delays on Snoqualmie, a real bonus. 

I hate driving around Seattle with a passion, but being alone on the open road is one of my secret pleasures.  I plug in my iPod on Bluetooth, then sing along to folk songs and the Greatest Hits of the 70's.  And not have to worry about making a certain "classical" someone jump out the window.

Thanks Amanda and Tom for having me stay.  I sure hope the girls had as much fun as I did. 










No comments:

Post a Comment