Friday, August 26, 2016

The olive man cometh



Last time I was in Las Vegas, we were sitting inside on a long, hot afternoon and I showed dad how easy the online shopping experience is at the Olive Pit website.  A few clicks, and soon your basket is full of California goodies.

There's no shipping charge for all those heavy fragile items if you meet the minimum order (which isn't hard.)  And soon the UPS truck pulls up with a couple of big boxes from northern California.  Our dad has seen many things in his long life, but he thought this was pretty incredible.  He is right-- we take the most amazing things for granted these days. 

When we drive to California in a few weeks, we'll stop at the Olive Pit store in Corning, just because we always do.  It's easy to go on a shopping spree there, but John needs to remind me we are stocked up with enough olives for at least a year.  


Sorry, I wish I had something to write about other than food and boring summer weather. The big news in Seattle this morning: it will be very hot again today. How exciting.

I was hankering for roast chicken yesterday (homemade, not Costco) but it was too warm to run the oven, so I cooked this on the grill.  It takes about an hour, using indirect heat, and it was delicious. I made some green salad with lime dressing and corn on the cob.  Roasting whole chicken on the grill isn't hard, just tricky.  The tricky part being keeping the grill lid closed, and not peeking and poking at it like a steak.



No comments:

Post a Comment