Thursday, August 18, 2016

The long and winding road


I made it to the Methow Valley in non-record time yesterday, about 6 hours.  Of course the first hour was spent on the first 5 miles, creeping along from our house to the freeway trying to get past downtown. From there it was clear sailing going north.  There was plenty of traffic on 20 East, but nothing like a weekend RV parade.  I pulled over occasionally to let the tailgaters by, so I could enjoy the road without someone breathing down my neck.

I made a stop in the town of Concrete at their famous bakery to buy some gluten free breads for Amanda and used their picnic table to eat my ham sandwich.  Just up the road, I parked and walked across the Gorge Creek Bridge (I forgot how terrifying that is) and then made a final stop at the Washington Pass scenic overlook before heading down into the valley.


John and I have whizzed by this overlook many times coming and going from Twisp. We were really missing something special.  After a short walk,  you are rewarded with the most spectacular views of the North Cascade mountains.  It's almost too much to take in.  The weather is usually windy, rainy, and cold up there, but yesterday was an unbelievable 80 degrees at 5,500 feet.


I was happy to see everyone yesterday, and looking forward to a busy couple of days with the girls while Amanda and Tom are at work.  It is very hot by the afternoon, almost 100.  But as soon as the sun went down, a breeze came up and it cooled right down to blanket-sleeping weather.  I thought of that wind coming off the mountains, where the season is changing fast to winter.

A couple of William Stafford's lovely Methow Valley poems were posted at the overlook.


No comments:

Post a Comment