Thursday, January 7, 2016

Hammy brain

Oh, my head felt like a balloon this morning, and not from the heavy weight of my fine brain. I had barely enough mental power to make bean soup in the pressure cooker, so don't look for my usual literary brilliance on the blog this morning. Ha ha!

The germy kids are long gone and John's post-Christmas cold is over, so I don't have anyone in particular to blame for mine. Probably the handle of a dirty shopping cart or something.  I'm a little run down after the holidays.  Who isn't? 

The Christmas ham bone was in the freezer with lots of meat left on it, so that soup should be pretty good.  Of course you can't make just a little bit of bean soup, so I divide up the leftovers. After a long winter day, there's nothing better than pulling a Tupperware container of homemade soup out of the freezer.

We didn't get another "artisan" ham this year, but the spiral-sliced Hormel from Safeway was fine.  Many would disagree, but I say a pig is a pig.  The recent alarmist food news says you might as well put a piece of poison in your mouth as a slice of bacon or ham.

I don't think that scare applies to those of us with German or Pennsylvania Dutch heritage, many of whom live to a ripe old age on a steady diet of cured meat.  Anyway, something gets us all in the end, and it's usually that one thing you don't see coming.  Ham and bean soup sounds like just the ticket tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment