Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Blah January

The Emergence of Spring

It's a dark and wet January morning, neither warm nor cold.  Out in the messy garden, things are starting to stir, believe it or not.  I cut a big vase of forsythia branches yesterday and brought them in to force open for that brilliant pop of yellow.

My Weird and Wacky Holiday Calendar is no help today. January 12th is the "Feast of Fabulous Wild Men Day," whatever that means. No one knows the root or the reason for this holiday. Maybe it's just a day for ladies to feast their eyes on some fabulous wild men?

Along those lines, I'm thinking of the two young men I have lined up to help me with some heavy work this month.  Colin, the most handsome arborist in Seattle, is coming to prune, in particular the plum tree.  Despite being tortured by aphids and us, hacking away at branches, that tree still gives its all. But for how much longer?  I hope some expert attention can revitalize it, but it has a scary-looking crack in the trunk.  We'll see what the Doctor Colin has to say.

My other new garden helper is Max, the friend I made during that unforgettable week of sewer line installation.  I might have mentioned Max on the blog. When he isn't digging muddy holes, he said he's an historian.  I believe him, and he seems to know much about many things, as young men tend to do.  Anyway, he offered to help me spread 3 yards of topsoil on the new bed so I can finally plant some grass and shrubs.  That is a big job, but nothing for a strapping guy who digs 8 foot trenches for a living.

Hey, life is finally looking up.  I feel like Lady Mary on Downton Abbey!

2 comments:

  1. Liked the documentary. Who was Denny?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arthur Denny was one of the original pioneers who settled on Alki Beach just down the road in about 1850. The winter there was not to their liking, and they later moved over to Elliot Bay where Seattle was founded. He and his kids became big mucky-mucks.

    ReplyDelete