Monday, July 27, 2015

My little chickadees

One looks up...
And the other looks down...

It's not easy photographing fast moving targets.  But aren't they cute? We had a busy weekend with the girls. Amanda was in Seattle for her 20th! high school reunion. Talk about fast moving, how did that happen?


The other big news this weekend was clouds and rain, which we haven't really seen since May. I put on a sweater and sat on the front porch on Sunday afternoon, taking in the chilly ocean air and listening to the fresh sound.  It wasn't nearly enough for a decent garden watering, but we'll take it. Oh, it smelled good. Now they're saying it will be 30 degrees warmer by the end of the week.


The Chickadee family is long gone from this nest on the side of the shed.  Nova and I opened the box to see what kind of home they made for their babies.


We found a bed of soft green moss, perfectly fitted in the bottom of the nest box. They left the room clean and tidy after the kids left.  Bird babies are nurtured so carefully, then set free to make their way in the world, for better or worse.  Birds know what they're doing.  Birds originated 60 million years ago after the dinosaurs died off.  Modern humans have only been on earth for about 200,000 years. As a species, we're still learning how to raise kids.

Those fine white strands of hair are some of my expensive highlights from the Gene Juarez salon.  I know it's a trashy habit, but when I clean my brush I throw the hair out the bathroom window and the birds sometimes put it to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment