Sunday, July 12, 2015

Daylilies

Spring

Daylilies don't like me. And the feeling is mutual, except in March when they first pop out of the ground all beautiful and rarin' to go. I always think a plant that fresh and vigorous must produce bunches of flowers.  They become a big green mass in June; nothing happens. Then the big green mass turns into a big brown mess in August.  I've never figured it out.  Too much water?  Too little?


OK, to give them credit, occasionally there's some raggedy "one day" flowers, but they really aren't worth the real estate they hog in this yard.

And how did I ever get so many?  Back in the days of abundant summer monsoons, in a hopeful mood, I probably divided a few plants and stuck them here and there in random places.


This weekend I dug enough daylilies from this bed to fill the compost bin.  It was easy. The ground is so dry it was like pulling them out of beach sand.  This is another ridiculous hot space I've been trying (and failing) to keep watered all summer. It looked awful.

There's a lot of things you can fight in life, if you have the energy, gumption, finances and tolerance to pain.  (Cosmetic surgery comes to mind.)  But as I've said many times on this blog,  Nature always has the last word. Or maybe, the last laugh.

It's nice to see open ground on this vegetation crammed lot. I'm thinking about how to put the bonus space to good use.  Next month, when the bamboo grove comes down, we'll lose our private deck and backyard for the foreseeable future.  I can't tell you how sad that makes me.

This little area is completely sheltered from the busy sidewalk and street by the laurel hedge, front porch and the apple tree. It gets great afternoon sun.  It might be a good spot when I need a place to hide out.  I'm thinking a couple of new Adirondack chairs would cheer me up, along with a cute table to hold a glass of wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment