Thursday, August 7, 2014

Cornish "game" hen


These fat little Cornish game hens are not really "game" birds at all. I haven't eaten any wild birds lately, but I suppose they would be tough and stringy from all that running/flying around.

I've just added Cornish hens to the long list of things that were invented in my lifetime. Therese Makowsky of Connecticut developed the Cornish hen with her flock of chickens, according to a 1955 Saturday Evening Post article. Mrs. Makowsky with came up with the idea to breed a small bird with short legs and a plump, round breast. The Makowskys began cross-breeding Cornish game cocks with various chickens, including a White Plymouth Rock hen and a Malayan fighting cock to create the Rock Cornish game hen.  Which sounds a like a cross between a sheep dog and a terrier!

Anyway, it worked. Cornish game "hens" can be boy or girl, and they're simply a breed of young broiler chickens. We thought they were very exotic and special when we were growing up in the 1960's.  Cornish hens were considered a gourmet, expensive meal, and what hungry kid wouldn't love to devour their own mini chicken?


Even though this succulent little bird is usually considered a single serving (and we've done it many times) splitting one for dinner is probably a better idea at our age.  Although I have to say, there is something kind of sad about roasting and presenting a single game hen for two people.


So!  I cooked a pair on my Weber grill last week and they turned out great. It took about an hour, while I slathered them with a glaze of peach jam and balsamic vinegar. I used the indirect heat method that works so well for roasts and whole animals on the grill, like chickens.

And the leftovers were just as good...

2 comments:

  1. Someone forgot to invite me to dinner! LOL
    (this is Julie, not "Myrtle")

    ReplyDelete
  2. Drop by at 5 any day of the week, and we'll pull up another chair!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete