Thursday, May 23, 2013

Music lessons

I've taught myself seven chords so far, and the tips of my left fingers are starting to go from sore to numb.  That's good, and now I have some simpleton song books for practicing.

John keeps bringing up the subject of ukulele lessons. As he says, with regular instruction, you'll get a weekly lesson plan, and if you don't practice you will look and feel bad in front of your teacher. 

I agree that shame and humiliation can be powerful motivators, although I don't know if they should be the driving force in learning to play a little recreational instrument. (At least not at my age.) 

But he has a point. I'm probably learning bad habits that will have to be broken later-- that's always harder than learning something right the first time. The challenge will be finding the right instructor close to home. Enter the Seattle Ukulele Players Association. Their website gives teacher referrals, and has tantalizing hints about the ukulele culture and lists events here in Seattle.

For example, there are some older gentlemen ukulele virtuosos who lead monthly play-along circles at the neighborhood senior centers. Many go by the title of "Uncle."  You get the picture. That might be a non-threatening place to put out some feelers for lessons. I will go and speak to "Uncle."

The other teachers on the referral list are friendly, smart looking young fellows-- and from their credentials, obviously real musicians with university degrees.  The poor guys have to support themselves by giving beginner ukulele lessons during the day.  I'd feel bad inflicting myself on someone like that.

1 comment: