Saturday, January 26, 2013

Seasons change

"The early bird gets the worm, 
but the second mouse gets the cheese"
Willie Nelson 

I'm sorry it's so bitter cold back East, even though you expect it in January.   Around here, believe it or not, the mood is turning toward spring.  The first bulbs like Dutch iris and alliums are coming up and many plants in the garden barely died back or froze at all, including potted geraniums and jasmine, despite those 10 days of freezing fog.  I gloat in the rare years when that happens, even though it doesn't have anything to do with me.  Well, other than that old fleece blanket I throw on pots in the basement stairwell.

Last night the sun set after 5 pm for the first time in many months. True, Seattle springs are chilly, damp, gray, drawn-out affairs, but close to Puget Sound it's relatively mild and always very, very green. From my desk yesterday I watched the fat robins running in and out of the hedge scratching for worms. All the birds are washing off winter in the (dirty) fountain basin. Outdoor work will be calling soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment