Wednesday, January 4, 2012

A Mahlerian kind of day

Little Gustav Mahler, 1865

Stayed in bed all morning just to pass the time.
There's something wrong here
there can be no denying...
It's Too Late, Carole King

You know those arrogant, energetic people who boast that they "never get sick?" Well, they're the worst when they do. First the denial (no, I'm fine, really) then the ignoring (if I just carry on, it will go away). A few days later and there's an exhausted, red-eyed hag staring back at you in the mirror.

After John went back to work yesterday morning, I did something I never do-- I just stayed in bed. I dozed, daydreamed, took vitamins, drank tea and did nothing. I didn't fire up a computer, smart device or TV screen. I didn't even turn on NPR to keep me company. My connection to the outside world was the land-line, which didn't ring all morning. There was no blog written. This sounds like depression, but it was more like the cure for post-holiday depression. It was so peaceful. It took me back to when people used to sit and gaze out of windows when they got bored, instead of staring at a screen. Eventually I got up, ate a turkey sandwich, and put on the tragic Mahler 9th Symphony so I could feel sorry for both of us for 85 minutes. The tribulations of Mahler's life will put even the worst head cold into perspective.

This new Mahler CD set was a Christmas present from John, who always gives me wonderful gifts, like a year's worth of new hardcover fiction. A five pound box of Mahler music is a bit on the heavy side, but there's a time and a place for everything.
The Mahler Project Complete CD Box Set contains the complete recordings by San Francisco Symphony Orchestra. Hours and hours and hours of listening pleasure.

Are your Christmas decorations down yet? Twelfth Night is just around the corner and it's considered unlucky to have evergreens indoors past January 6th.

2 comments:

  1. I wondered what happened to you yesterday. Hope you are better. Looks like you have plenty to keep you busy on your days 'off' or off days.(Your slow is speedy for many of us.) A bit of an off day for me as well; will explain later. Christmas here will end at Epiphany or as you know Three Kings Day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was staggering around like Job yesterday, but I'm greatly improved today. Hope you are feeling well and enjoy the local festivities.

    ReplyDelete