Friday, January 13, 2012

Galbi

I don't recommend indoor "grilling" on one of these cast iron pans unless you're really desperate for a barbecue. Well, what else did I have to do on a cold January night with snow in the forecast? But you can expect to spend more time cleaning up the grease-spattered stove than you will eating the tasty meat. In this case, marinated Korean short ribs.

I thought John would be surprised having an exotic treat I've never made before, but he just said, "oh, yea-- that's kalbi." Or was that "galbi?" He works in a culturally diverse group, and they sometimes have international foodie potlucks that sound pretty sumptuous.

These short ribs were good, even though they came in a package pre-marinated by Safeway. Galbi is traditionally served alongside lettuce and rice with a spicy dipping sauce called Ssamjang.
I violated the customs of Korean cuisine and we ate them with wide Chinese rice noodles. And a romaine lettuce salad with (canned) Mandarin oranges. Not bad for a indoor winter barbecue. I had plenty of time to contemplate this as I cleaned up the kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment