Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Back to work

"Icons and Eye Candy Exhibit"

December was busy and I didn't even have time to work at the Museum of History and Industry. I missed the Seattle World's Fair projects and my friends down in the library. When I finally went back yesterday, I could see that things had been happening to get ready for the upcoming move. This ramp I've walked down dozens of times to the basement is closed off now, and the big artifacts like Lincoln's Toe Truck are being moved to the new location on Lake Union.

MOHAI has been in the same building since 1952, which gives an idea of the daunting job of relocating over 60 years worth of museum collecting. Having toured the warrens beneath the public areas, I know there isn't a spot, space or corner in the old building that doesn't have something stored in it. What you actually see on display in a museum is just the tip of the iceberg.

Scheduled opening, November 2012

Grand as the new Lake Union location is, unfortunately there isn't enough space in this building for the stored collection or the staff offices. So countless decisions are being made about what and who goes where and why. The collections will have to be stored off-site and the research library will relocate to a warehouse in South Seattle. Obviously this will also be a big change for the staff and researchers, who are all accustomed to working at the Museum.

I started volunteering at MOHAI two years ago this month, and I'm grateful to the head librarian for trusting me with challenging work right from the start. When I finally stopped to count, I realized I've written 15 new finding aids for the Seattle World's Fair collections. Best of all, the project is finished in time for the 50th anniversary of the fair in 2013. I was doing some Century 21 research the other day, and accidently Googled up one of my published finding aids. That gave me a nice little jolt of satisfaction. (Even humble archivists have egos.)

Well, speaking of lovely artifacts that have stood the test of time, today is Wilda's birthday. We hope it is happy with many, many returns!

No comments:

Post a Comment