Thursday, November 17, 2011

What a difference a day makes


On Tuesday we had unbelievable November weather in Seattle. As luck had it, I was down in the MOHI basement with my nose in an old scrapbook. When I surfaced at 3, I took this picture of the museum clock. The fall trees around Lake Washington were still beautiful. But the very next morning in Snoqualmie (after a white-knuckle freeway drive) it looked like this:

Really, I'm not complaining, except I had a riding lesson scheduled. Bad timing. Look at the snow just up the hill on Mt. Si-- winter arrived in the mountains. Down along the river, cold rain was whipping through the valley and the lucky horses who didn't have to work were lounging in their stalls eating hay. My intrepid friend Dolly and I had the place to ourselves, and the weather was so miserable the griping was almost enjoyable.

"Karma"

It would be bad karma to say something bad about a horse named Karma! Here she is with a mouthful of hay after our ride. Karma is a gaited Rocky Mountain breed with a sweet disposition and fun to ride, especially out on the trail. There won't be any trail riding for a while up there, and even Seattle may get a hit of snow tomorrow. You know what that means around here. Good weather to stay home and finish a red jumper.

No comments:

Post a Comment