Friday, November 4, 2011

$4 a hour

Siegfried forges the sword "Nothung"

I have witnessed and greatly enjoyed the first act of everything which Wagner created, but the effect on me has always been so powerful that one act was quite sufficient; whenever I have witnessed two acts I have gone away physically exhausted; and whenever I have ventured an entire opera the result has been the next thing to suicide.
Mark Twain, Eruption

Who would be so crass to put a price on the genius of Wagner, but for about $4 a hour (skipping the Junior Mints) you can sit in a local movie theater for six hours and watch the Met's live broadcast of Siegfried, one of the seemingly endless operas in Wagner's epic Ring cycle. Followed by fast food suicide in the Mall.

Over the years we've seen Siegfried twice at the opera, which makes you question the sanity of repeating the experience tomorrow. All I can say is: it's Wagner, it's cheap, and it's a rainy dark weekend in the Northwest. Is it really any different from sitting through six hours of TV football on a fall afternoon?
Oh, yes.

Siegfried awakens Brunhilda

Every hero becomes a bore at last
Ralph Waldo Emerson

No comments:

Post a Comment