Friday, September 2, 2011

Olives in Seattle


It means you've been blogging for a long time if you have to Google your own blog to remember when you did something. So I see we bought this olive tree back in May 2010. It was just a $19.95 stick from the West Seattle Nursery.

The label extravagantly promised "up to 20 pounds of homegrown olives." Ha, we thought. In Seattle? But the spindly thing survived the bad winter, probably because I covered the pot with a fleece blanket on the nights it went below freezing. A couple of my gardening friends said they lost their little olive trees over the winter. (I did not gloat-- honest.)

Anyway, this spring it was covered with clusters of white flowers that slowly turned into real, miniature olives. It may be a few more years before I crack out the olive press, but at least we're having a stretch of Mediterranean like weather around here.

Best of all, Amanda, Tom and Nova will be passing through Seattle on their way to a wedding, so we're looking forward to a short family visit on Saturday. I hope you have a relaxing and labor-free weekend...


2 comments:

  1. Actual olives! How do you know when they're ripe? Does John have his bottle of wine and a crustini poised?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember his exact words at the nursery when we bought it: "We'll never have to buy olive oil again."
    :-)

    ReplyDelete