Monday, September 26, 2011

Gratitude

West Seattle horse barn
June 2009

Saturday was warm and humid in Seattle, but the weather changed drastically overnight. Early Sunday morning it felt like someone suddenly turned on an air-conditioner when cold, damp wind started blowing in the bedroom window.

I didn't sleep much and in the morning drove over to the West Seattle barn where I used to keep Sizzle. I was there even before the early staff, and there was much neighing and nickering when the horses heard my footsteps in the parking lot. Where's our breakfast? I missed seeing Othello the rooster, but he passed away a few months ago at a ripe old age. Luna the three-legged cat was still there, and she came out to greet me.
Sizzle and Othello
April 2009

The wind was blowing the leaves off the trees and it was starting to rain, but last September 25th was a beautiful Indian summer day. It was also Sizzle's last day. I only stayed long enough to leave a few flowers where her fine life ended peacefully, just a year ago.
Our dead are never dead to us,
until we have forgotten them.

George Eliot

No comments:

Post a Comment