Saturday, November 20, 2010

To market, to market

I don't mean to sound insensitive about people who are truly in need, but it's hard to understand how anyone could go hungry in this country. And in fact most Americans have the opposite problem-- we're just too fat.

Sure, prepared food and restaurant meals are expensive (for what you get) but I bought a twenty pound turkey for $6.50 yesterday. I also got a pound of Tillamook butter for $2.50 and five pounds of potatoes for 99 cents. Throw in a few cheap yams and you could have a massive dinner for about $10.

Sorry to bore you with my grocery list, but I think about this every Thanksgiving when the specials are on and food is so cheap...aren't we are lucky? Of course I helped Kroger's profit margin with a few impulse purchases, but still.

The grocery workers may strike in Seattle next week. From what I've read, I don't blame them, but this would bring havoc to holiday food shopping because most people do it at the last minute. Ha! I won't need to cross the picket lines because our enormous turkey is already defrosting in the fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment