Saturday, September 25, 2010

Victorian Trading Company

I've been getting this mail order catalog forever, and I'm not sure why. Well, OK--I've ordered a thing or two over the years, so I guess you can't blame them for trying. It's fun to look at, and filled with silly expensive clothing for dressing up like a Victorian lady.
Who buys these things? I image closets filled with clothing worn only once or twice. (Of course, I should talk.) It also has reproductions of old-fashioned holiday knick-knacks. Halloween wasn't a Victorian holiday at all, but they sell odd things to make you think so. I do like this big tin moon face, but where would I store it for the other 50 weeks of the year?
Speaking of that, our house isn't big but it's old, with lots of shelves and little cubby holes where you can stash things and forget about them for-- oh, 30 years or so. That's how long I've lived here, which amazes me when I think about it. If you like bargain shopping and hauling home old interesting things, before long you're swimming in stuff, and risk an avalanche on your head when you open a closet door. So here's my goal between now and Christmas: clean out one closet, cabinet or drawer a day. If I haven't worn it or touched it for two years, it better have serious sentimental value, or out it goes.

There's a recent movie called "Please Give" that we're looking forward to seeing on DVD. It's about an upscale second hand store in New York, filled with the lifetime accumulations of dead people and a different sort of "ambulance chasing" by the acquisitive owners. Fun stuff. Click here for a link to a NYT review.

No comments:

Post a Comment