Monday, September 27, 2010

Farewell to a Dear Friend

"Chic's Sizzle Lou"
1984-2010

September 25th was one of those heartbreakingly beautiful autumn days that only come once a year. Under warm blue skies, surrounded by gentle friends, my dear horse Sizzle passed peacefully away, and a wonderful chapter in my life came to an end.

If love alone could have kept you going, you would have lived for a thousand years, instead of 26.

I'll miss looking into your soft brown eyes. I'll miss putting my arms around your silky neck and feeling warm sweet breath on my back.

I'll miss how you were always happy to see me. Or maybe it was the peppermints and carrots? :-)

You were a big part of our family for over a decade, through so many events and milestones.
With your gentle ways and big personality, you were a favorite wherever you lived. You touched many lives, and everyone liked you. But little girls loved you.
I'll always remember how proud I was to say you were mine. How you could bring out the best and worst in me, but how you always kept me grounded in the present moment. And now, I'm grateful to look back and know I never took one moment I had with you for granted.

You made me feel like the luckiest person in the world.
I'll miss our lifestyle that centered around the best place on earth: a horse barn.
In my dreams I'll remember the hours we spent alone, how we trusted and took care of each other in the high mountains and on city streets.

I'll remember the good friends and their horses, too. And long hours on the trail.

All the big adventures we had together, and the simple joy of just spending days outdoors.

I'm grateful to the fine horsemen like Tom and women like Dr. Jean who taught us so much, along with the crazy characters, the funny people, and all the silly things that go along with boarding horses. And who can forget the thousands of hours in the car driving out to far-flung barns. It was all worth it.
There were the kind, quiet ones who cared for you, so you could enjoy such a long, healthy life.
I'll think back on how lively you were when you were young, how you challenged me emotionally and physically, and how you made me stronger and braver than I ever imagined I could be.

And I'll always smile to think of my big, strong Quarter-horse who was terrified of cows!
Happy trails, dear Sizzle-- until we meet again.

I hope your heaven has sweet grass to eat and cool mud to roll in. The years we spent together were heaven on earth for me.

6 comments:

  1. Such heartbreaking news... so sorry Aunt Suzy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom, what a beautiful memorial to Sizzle and your life together! She really was a part of our family for all those years and will be greatly and deeply missed by all. She will always have a place in my heart and memory..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, dearest Amanda and April. Sizzle had a fine spirit, and she is in a good place now. We'll always remember her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a blessing to have a "best friend" like that for 26 years. Beautiful memorial to her, great memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Kelly. How kind you are to take a moment to write those lines.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to hear about Sizzle. The photos are beautiful, and I'm glad I stopped by to learn about her and see her - and you.

    ReplyDelete