Monday, September 20, 2010

How permanent is permanent?

A bad hair day

Vanity is the cause of trouble, grief and expense. We all know this, but it doesn't keep us from trying.

When I came home from the hairdresser on Saturday, John exclaimed, "What did you DO?" (He usually doesn't notice these things.) Well...actually, I did nothing except sit for two hours while a well-intentioned lady worked diligently on my "foil." Some of you know what that ridiculous process is.

Instead of blond highlights, I got dark red and yellow streaks, with solid blobs on my temples. A not-so-subtle way to hide the gray. On the bright side, this new woman gave me a pretty decent trim, but she still has a way to go as a Colorist (as they like to call themselves.)
No, this is not my head. I wish it were. My red is more like a fake mahogany furniture stain. But the stylist told me not to worry, because it will "fade over time."
Like all things, I guess.

"Only God, my dear,
Could love you for yourself alone

And not your yellow hair."


W.B. Yeats

1 comment: