Friday, May 14, 2010

Sunrise, sunset

Sunrise, sunset
Sunrise, sunset
Swiftly flow the years
One season following another,
Laden with happiness and tears.

Fiddler on the Roof


Now that the old curtains are gone, I have a much better view from my computer desk. This is a picture of a sunset the other evening, but my favorite time is early morning. The corner of the yard is quiet and shady, and I never know what creature will wander through. I see the neighborhood cats like to cruise by, acting cool and anti-social. And Vino still likes to sit on the gazebo railing like he owns it. The raccoons beat a path through here too in the morning; they look purposeful like they're heading off to work. Or maybe, bed.

Our laurel hedge is overgrown for most of the year, so the birds love that corner too. We've been lucky to have bewick's wrens in the hedge for the past few summers-- I hear them often, but seldom spot them. Like all wrens, they're secretive and shy, so it's a special joy when you see one.

A while back, I wired a little wicker bird house high up on the palm tree, just for fun. I didn't think anyone would actually move in, but I saw one of the wrens actually checking it out the other day. A wren nest in a palm tree...now wouldn't that be something?

No comments:

Post a Comment